New Mayor Weighs in on Education

Polls are cast, opinions are set, and the media flourishes. Elections run locally, state, and nation wide. They unite – or divide – our country. It just depends on the year whether the entire nation is involved in voting for a candidate, or if it will just be local. Just last year, our President was elected for his four year term. Currently, our Senior class is participating in their own “mock election” for their AP Government class.

A few weeks ago, Park City held an election, and Andy Beerman succeeded Jack Thomas as Park City’s new Mayor. Mr. Beerman was a council member and has been involved with Park City’s politics for many years. As Mayor, Mr. Beerman oversees many aspects of Park City government, including education, police and fire departments, housing, and transportation.

Beerman looks upon his role as Mayor as “[setting] the tone for the City, but should also work closely with the Council to set and communicate the agenda.” It is an important job, but Mr. Beerman has had the opportunity to work with four previous mayors and is ready for the challenge ahead of him.

In his platform, Beerman advocated for “More Park, Less City”. One of the attributes Mr. Beerman accentuated was “[he is] far more proud about the land we have saved, than the buildings or facilities that we have built.”

Looking at different issues in Park City, Beerman campaigned for more transit, expensive parking, and affordable housing for both the families that want to live here and the workforce needed to build the community.

There was no mention about the educational system in Andy Beerman’s platform for Mayor. When asked, Beerman emphasized that “good schools are essential to building and maintaining great communities.” He wants to support the schools, the education system, and “as mayor [he] will support education and encourage the community to invest in both our schools and the wellbeing of our students.”

Beerman was raised in Ohio. His mother and sister are teachers, so “[he] was raised with an appreciation for schools and education.” Mr. Beerman goes on to say that as the next generation, “the youth are our future, so we need them to receive a quality education.”

When given the opportunities to help them, the young adults of the Park City community can help the city to flourish.

Relating the High School to his platform ideology, Mr. Beerman hopes that everyone in the community will use their cars less. There are opportunities that the community should embrace: carpooling, bus systems, and alternative transport options..

“I strongly believe that students should carpool, take the bus, walk or bike to school whenever possible.” Mr. Beerman emphasized, showing that using cars less doesn’t just apply to the city, but the youth as well.

This would help Park City’s economy, environment, reduce traffic, and make the City seem smaller than it is. Beerman realizes that he and the council will have to “retrain the entire community to use our cars less”.

A relevant conundrum in the high school right now is the ninth graders coming in after the remodel. Plans have already been cast for the near future by moving ninth graders into the high school. There are mixed feelings from all sides whether this is a favorable idea.

Park City High School is in need of a remodel, for both more space and facilities. “I believe that 9th graders are a better fit with 10-12 than 7-8”, said Mr. Beerman. However he also acknowledges that he does not have reason to support this other than as a student and an outdoor educator.

“I believe that smaller classrooms allow for a more personal experience and a better education,” Mr. Beerman explained. With smaller classroom sizes, students will be able to make the most out of their education and move on to their careers later in life.

Looking towards the future, Mr. Beerman did not state how this can happen. “I hope that the City can help the School Board to engage the public and envision how best to accomplish this.” From there, they can decide the best course of action.

Education may not have been in Andy Beerman’s platform for Mayor, but it is still an integral part of Park City’s economy and future. There may be a few changes in the next four years, revolving around parking, and the high school remodel, but these changes will be made in the intention of bettering the economy and keeping Park City a small town with Mr. Beerman’s expertise.