Stop Clowning Around America

Image Courtesy of cdn.abclocal.go.com

It’s that time of year again.  A month full of tricks, treats….  and clowns.

There have been multiple reports of clown sightings and incidents across the country.  The clowns have reportedly chased and stalked people, and are sometimes glimpsed strolling through the woods.

The clown phenomenon began on Aug.  1 when reports of a clown in Wisconsin went viral.  Gags The Green Bay Clown first debuted on Facebook in a picture, walking around town with black balloons in hand.  

Since then, many more clown events have been reported around the country.  The clown craze spread from Wisconsin to Oregon.  Almost 20 states have been affected.  

In North Carolina and South Carolina, children reported clowns that were trying to lure them into the woods with money and treats.  In Alabama, local students made clown threats and created a disturbing account on Facebook portraying two clowns with an anonymous clown profile picture.

After all the pranks and threats, it led to a fatality.  

On Sept.  25, a fight broke out in Pennsylvania, and that resulted in the death of 16 year-old Christian Torres, a sophomore at Reading High School.  According to investigators, “a disagreement over Halloween masks may have led to the killing.”

This has been the only death due to the clowns, but it hasn’t been the only outbreak.

Penn State students rioted on campus on Oct.  4 after clown sightings nearby.  The situation was no joke to them, as they ran down the streets screaming with baseball bats and lacrosse sticks in hand.

Even Stephen King, author of the clown horror novel “It”, stated on Twitter, “time to cool the clown hysteria.”

At Park City High School, sophomore Josie Slobodow and junior Kali Crofts shared their opinions regarding the clowns.

Crofts stated, “these clowns are getting out of control.” Slodobow agreed, saying, “It’s our personal safety that we’re dealing with.”

It’s obvious that people are affected by these clowns, so the question is why? Why does this phenomenon continue? Are people in the country trying to make a statement by scaring people around town, or is this all a practical joke?

According to Benjamin Radford, a folklorist and the author of the nonfiction book “Bad Clowns”, It could have something to do with viral marketing.  This clown situation has people talking and worried, and maybe that’s the reaction the clowns want.  There has already been proof that one video of a creepy clown in Agawam, Massachusetts, was for marketing a local haunted house.

Whatever the cause, stay safe this October.