Fall Sports Review: Girls’ Tennis, Girls’ Soccer, Mountain Biking

Park City High School fall sports have all concluded, except for volleyball which will begin its playoff run in early November. The eight different sports all began near the beginning of the school year and have had varied outcomes since. The PC Prospector is providing an overview and brief summary of how each of the sports performed this fall season split into three different articles.

This article focuses on girls’ tennis, girls’ soccer, and mountain biking.

Girls Tennis

The Miners girls tennis team had a successful season overall, especially in the regular season. They finished 8-1 and came in second as a team in their region tournament. Their lone loss was to Highland, who finished first in the region tournament ahead of Park City. 

Entering the state tournament, junior Elle Marin, junior Olivia Tarmina and Winter Sports School Student Reagan Harrison represented Park City as their numbers 1, 2, and 3 singles players, respectively. Both Martin and Tarmina were eliminated in the semifinals of the 5A state tournament. Martin was eliminated by Dylan Lolofie from Highland and Tarmina was eliminated by Emmy Richards of Woods Cross. However Harrison triumphed and won the state championship as the third singles player on the Miners team. Additionally, the team’s No. 1 doubles pair, seniors Lauren Allen and Danny Santos, was also eliminated in the semifinals. 

As a team, Park City placed fourth in the 5A state championship, marking the end of a successful season.

Girls Soccer

The Miners girls’ soccer team ended their season on Oct. 7 with a loss to East High in the second round of the 5A state playoffs. The team finished their season with a record of 3 wins to 15 losses, an underwhelming season for the Miners. Former head coach Tom Merchant left the team in late September, leaving frosh (freshman/sophomore) coach Claire West and JV coach Mel Moffat to step up as varsity coaches.

The team struggled much of the season, scoring only one goal combined in games that they lost, the only exception being a  2-1 loss to Brighton on Sept. 8. Park City was shut out in their other 14 losses. However, the Miners found regular season success against the Highland Rams, winning twice, both in penalty kicks. The score before the penalty kicks was 1-1 in both games.

Going into the 5A state playoffs, Park City was a 30 seed, facing off against 19-seeded Payson in the play-in tournament on October 5th. Payson finished 8-9 in the regular season, ending with 6 losses in their final 8 regular season matchups. The Miners defeated Payson 2-1 in double overtime, advancing to the next round to face 14-seeded East High. East defeated the Miners with a final score of 3-0, ending the Miners season. 

The girls’ soccer 5A state tournament concluded on October 22nd, with the Skyline Eagles defeating Lehi High School 3-1 and winning the state championship. Skyline finished their season 20-0, winning 5A region 6 (the Miners’ region) and defeating Park City twice on Aug. 20 and Sept 14 with a combined score of 12-0.

Mountain Biking

Part of the Mountain Biking team competed in the state championship at St. George on Oct. 22 and 23. Those who went to state placed 25th or better throughout the season, determined by cumulative standings from previous races. The Miners came in 5th overall in D1, the top mountain biking division in the state. Corner Canyon High School finished first overall. Sophomore Abi Pruyn placed third in the varsity girls division, and junior Wynter Provert placed third overall in JV-B in the girls’ division (the B division is slower than the A division). Freshman Lucas Fassio placed first overall in the freshman-B boys’ division. In early October, the Mountain Biking team traveled to Vernal to compete in regionals. They came in first place overall, defeating other programs like Davis, North and South Summit, and Morgan.