Hope Squad Spirit Week Letting You Know You Aren’t Alone

Hope Squad Spirit Week Letting You Know You Arent Alone

Hope Squad is bringing attention to mental health and suicide prevention through spirit week.

The week of the 21st, Hope Squad and the students of PCHS are showing their support for mental health and suicide prevention by hosting a spirit week.

Hope Squad wanted to show the students of PCHS that they aren’t alone and there’s help out there.

Since September is suicide prevention month, Hope Squad is hosting a spirit week.

To start the week off, students will be wearing their pajamas on Monday to give a feeling of self care through comfort.

This is “A really good way to improve mental health,” says, senior Julia Henry, the president of the Hope Squad.

On Tuesday, students will wear colors of love such as pink, red, or white to represent a reminder to love themselves the way they are and to love others.

Students may have noticed notes on their car from the Hope Squad with positive messages and reminders.

Wednesday’s theme is supporting the LGBTQ+ community in the school by wearing rainbow colors to raise awareness for mental health in the LGBTQ+ community.

To show support, students will be wearing rainbow, and the Hope Squad will put sticky notes with positive affirmations and resources around the school.

The LGBTQ+ theme on Wednesday is to pinpoint a “Community in Utah that struggles with higher [suicide] rates,” said Henry.

As for Thursday, students will show their appreciation for teachers by dressing up as their favorite teacher, and raising awareness for mental health in adults.

Thursdays teacher and staff appreciation day is to bring attention to the fact that adults can forget to give self-care, and they need support as well.

“Especially during this time, teachers are doing their jobs in less than ideal circumstances, to say the least, as well as increasing their exposure to the coronavirus.

To wrap up the week, Hope Squad members are asking students to wear purple to show their commitment to help prevent suicide on Friday.

To Henry, this week is “important because it opens up a conversation about mental health.”

“If you can help one person feel less alone, and know that there are people out there that care about them, and there are things out there to help them and they won’t have to do it alone – to me that is worth it.” Henry said.

Resources will be posted around the school to give the students information on places they can go and get help, or websites to refer to, as well as notes and pictures to give the students something to smile at.

Henry went on to explain, ”I have noticed a lot of people at this school have had a really tough time in high school. There is always a lot going on, and there are things that you have to figure out about yourself, and I think the Hope Squad is a way to show people that it’s okay.”