PCHS Quenches Their Thirst Through Charity Work

Students at Park City High School can have the opportunity to supply water to a country in need through the Thirst Project program starting soon.

The organization was formed by seven 19 year old friends living in southern California in 2008. They weren’t aware of their privilege in respect to clean drinking water and wanted to make drinking water available to more people around the world. 

They learned that 1.1 billion people didn’t have access to safe, clean drinking water and wanted to make a change that would affect generations. This passion led to the organization, Thirst Project.

Many less fortunate individuals are forced to drink from swamp water, mud puddles, earth dams, or whatever water source is available to them which leads to waterborne illness. These diseases are the number one killer of children across the globe.

Ashley Mott, dance teacher at PCHS, has taken this project under her wing and wants to encourage students to join the cause. “I found out about it approximately five years ago. The national Thirst Project headquarters were sending their ‘Road Warriors’ on a national tour” said Mott, “I invited them to do some presentations at PCHS, similar to the ones we will have here again on March 18th & 19th.  From that, we created a Thirst Project Club here at PCHS.” 

The students interested will be working to build one well, in Genda Village, Uganda. 

She hopes that students will have a similar passion as her when considering joining the initiative. Mott and the founders of Thirst Project believe that is it a basic human right to have clean water.

This organization believes that anyone and everyone can make a difference, no matter your age. PCHS’s student body can create a global impact with this service project, “This would be a life-long memory and impact on the students involved, and a change to those communities that impacts every facet of their lives for generations to come.” stated Mott.

There are many ways for students to get involved with the project. “Students can ask or encourage their teachers to bring their class(es) to the presentations in the lecture hall during every period on March 18th & 19th” said Mott. She also asks for students interested to reach out to her directly to get involved with the club or learn more about the Thirst Project.

While in the club students will conduct fund-raising, educational activities in our community, and spread awareness about the water crisis in Genda Village, Uganda. 

“In places where women and children previously walked 5 – 10 kilometers every day to acquire disgusting water from contaminated sources, they now have a well with fresh, drinkable and potable water.” said Mott, “Women can contribute to society through work and handicraft, children can go to school, and many people have healthier lives.”

With clean water disease rates drop, mortality rates improve creating healthier communities for generations to come.

Joining this cause will not only affect the small community in Uganda, but will make waves in Park City. “[The Thirst Project] allows them to do something powerful and see the real effects that literally change people’s lives.” stated Mott. 

With student and community interest the school club could travel with the Thirst Project officers and work alongside locals building wells in communities in Africa.

Mott has high hopes for this program at the school and believes that our students can and will make a life altering impact on a community in need, “The long term goal is to get enough students involved and enough fund-raising efforts in place to raise money to build wells, and potentially have students and staff travel to the sites and help build the wells.” she said.

The overarching goal of the national organization Thirst Project is to provide safe, clean water and sanitation to the entire Kingdom of Swatini by 2022. Our school can join the fight by signing up for the Thirst Project club at PCHS.