Utah College Application Week

Utah College Application Week

Last week marked the 4th annual PCHS Utah College Application Week. The short version of UCAW is time given to the students during the school day to complete and submit a college application to Utah specific schools. 

First things first, what is Utah College Application Week and what makes it so special?

UCAW is a week dedicated to Utah high school seniors, in which they receive help with their Utah college applications. 

A large focus of this process is to reach students who may not otherwise get support to complete an application. The Prospector had the chance to speak to Mrs. Smith, one of Park City High School’s very own counselors, to get the inside scoop on Utah College Application Week. 

In total, 11 Utah based colleges/universities visited Park City High School this past week. These schools include: BYU, Mountain Tech, Westminster, Utah Valley University, The University of Utah, Snow College, Salt Lake Community College, Dixie State University, Southern Utah University, Weber State University, and Utah State University.

Aside from the obvious benefits of getting help on a college application, what else does UCAW have to offer to Park City High students? 

Some state schools give free applications and help students with difficult sections. Applying early and with a school advisor allows students to be notified of their acceptance earlier. In addition, early applications help students plan for their future. Whether it be scholarships, financial plans, housing plans, or even alternate plans, there are great benefits when it comes to early applications, especially during UCAW!

Since the very first Utah College Application Week 4 years ago, PCHS counseling staff has seen growth in student participation. “This year there was a lot more because of the early Nov. 1st deadline for the University of Utah, as well as the U of U moving to the common application.  We had 141 students participate this year, and in the previous 2 years, there was between 100 to 120… I would say a good 1/4 of the class takes advantage of this time,” stated Mrs. Smith.

In Park City, the most popular college destination is the University of Utah, not incredibly surprising. Last year alone, more than 55% of students reported staying in state. “This is fairly common that the majority of college going students stay at an in state college – Utah has very affordable and fantastic options for our families,” said Mrs. Smith. A large majority of students chose to apply to The U. Whether or not they choose utilize UCAW, students certainly take advantage of the options Utah has to offer.

For those unaware of the modern day application process, students are typically told to choose a dream, target, and a safety school. A dream school is where students credentials may fall in the lower end of the spectrum, or even below the average, but is a college/university students would attend without the daunting test scores or fees.

A target school is where students academic credentials fall right within the average. There are no guarantees, but with target schools, students have a reasonably good chance of getting accepted. Lastly there are the safety schools. These are the schools where students overall credentials exceed the average. Safety schools are generally the “safest bet”, hence the name. How does this apply to the options offered in Utah?

For many PCHS seniors, they stated that the University of Utah was their safety school. Although The U is well regarded, academically rigorous, university, Park City students tend to exceed expectations at this in-state institution. 

Utah College Application Week has passed, but there are still many college opportunities to be discovered in the counseling office! Students are able to find out which colleges are coming, along with the specific dates and times on TV’s posted around the school, the counseling office, and naviance. For more information, talk to the counselors. They are happy to elaborate more.

Mrs. Smith had some final thoughts on college applications at large. “Every student has their own journey to success & happiness – be thoughtful in how and where you want to spend the next 1, 2, or 4 years after high school – don’t compare your journey to others and don’t let others rain on your parade.” Whether it be a Junior College or an Ivy League, being a college student is something that everyone should be proud of. Mrs. Smith added, “Be each others cheerleaders, but follow your own path.  Start early discovering what you’re passionate about in order to find the right fit.”