Trump to be Impeached? Student Opinions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trump to be Impeached? Student Opinions

Michael Pogudin

Throughout the school, the story of Trump’s possible impeachment has been a popular topic of discussion.

On September 24th this year, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi revealed to the public that the House will begin a formal impeachment inquiry into Trump. 

This is due to the recent allegations against the President involving a phone call on July 25th with Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelensky. 

During this call, Trump asked Zelensky to investigate Joe Biden (a political rival who is running for president) and his son, Hunter Biden. Hunter had business interests in Ukraine when his father was vice president.

Whether or not the process of impeachment will continue remains to be seen. But many students at PCHS have already made up their minds about what should happen with the ongoing investigation.

When asked if it’s possible that Trump be impeached, Sophomore Bodi Marzka commented, “I think it’ll take a very long time in our current justice system but I feel like if the time came, it could definitely happen.”

He added, “I think that he should [be impeached]. There’s obviously evidence has been found against him with the obstruction of justice and everything like that.”

“Honestly, I think he’s as fit for president as a reality T.V. show host,” he concluded. 

William Myres, a fellow Sophomore, shared the same view. 

“I think with all the things going on with him, yeah there’s enough against him so that he’s going to get impeached,” he said.

Sophomore Earl Conneby, a debate team member and competitor, had a contrary opinion.

When asked if he believes Donald Trump should be impeached, he replied, “I don’t. I feel like the government is currently at wits end. Most nations only last 250 years, and we are on our 243rd. You’re trying to use a different shovel to get out of the same pit you dug it with. Revolution needs to come.”

When asked why he has this view, he simply stated, “Hang the tyrants.”

Currently, the impeachment process is in gridlock as Trump has refused to cooperate with the investigation unless the House passes a vote to authorize it and if the investigating democrats follow a certain set of “fair” rules set by the president. 

So until one side of the investigation budges, impeachment is impossible. 

Even if the inquiry can continue, there are many steps that must take place before the president is forcibly removed from office. Impeachment is only the first of two steps that must be completed in order for Trump to be removed from his position.

First, the House of Representatives, which has a republican majority, must hold a vote on whether or not the articles of impeachment (the accusations) are valid. If one of the accusations is found valid, the president is impeached, or indicted. 

Then, the matter moves to the Senate and a trial takes place in which the members of the Senate serving as the jury. The trial is overseen by the chief justice of the Supreme Court.

If 2/3 of the Senate find Trump guilty, then he is removed from office and the vice president takes over for him. 

Because of the time and work it takes to impeach and remove a president, the process happens quite rarely.

Over the course of 243 years, the United States has only impeached two presidents: Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton. Neither were forcibly removed from office, meaning that the House voted in majority for impeachment, but the Senate did not convict.

There is a long and lengthy process ahead, one that may be shut down at any point down the line. 

Even though PCHS students have little say in what the outcome is, it is still of great significance that they care about the situation, as it affects every single person within the country. 

The upcoming months will be those of massive importance to the nation, and regardless of what happens, everyone will feel the consequences of the ongoing investigation of the current president.